Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tool #10 - Underneath it All - Digital Citizenship


1. Discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens.
A.) I would want them to know just as we want them to become responsible citizens in the real world, we also expect them to be responsible members of the digital world.
B.) I would want them to understand that certain sites must be blocked for their own safety.
C.) I would want them to realize that the Internet offers a staggering amount of information and that by practicing good digital citizenship they can access reliable sites that will open the world to them.
 
2. Share at least one of the resources mentioned above or on the Ed Tech website that you plan to use instructionally.
I like Common Sense and Digizen as they seem user-friendly and easy to incorporate into a lesson.

3. Explain briefly how you would "teach" the idea of digital citizenship to your students.
I would first want to access prior knowledge by asking students to define what is meant by the term, "citizenship". I would ask the question, "What makes someone a good citizen?" From here I would move into how these ideas coincide with digital
citizenship. I might ask them to list what they consider the characteristics of a good digital citizen and share out their ideas. We could then watch a video that explains digital citizenship.
 
4. Explain briefly how you plan to share the idea of digital citizenship with your parents.
I would post information on my website, or blog for parents to see. This information could include an embedded video and relevant supporting documents. I might also have students take home a hard-copy document for parents to read and sign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment